Reprinted from BigBadBoo on 05/10/2010.
to see original piece.
Nights Tales in four out of five nomination categories
CONTACT: SARA SEPIDZADEH
Vancouver, May 10, 2010 - Earlier this week, the nominees for the LEO AWARDS were announced in British Columbia. Big Bad Boo's new show
"1001 Nights" secured 4 out of the possible 5 animation categories, being nominated for "Best Animation Series", "Best Direction/Storyboarding", "Best Screenwriting", and "Best Overall Sound". Among the nominees were popular shows such as PBS's "Martha Speaks", "Kid vs. Kat", "Barbie In a Mermaid Tale" and "League of Superevil".
"Being nominated for the various categories demonstrates how important every element of our show is and '1001 Nights' is strong all around. We are very excited to be part of this incredible line-up," said Aly Jetha.
"Artistic excellence is alive and well in BC," said LEO AWARDS president Walter Daroshin. "The film and television industry continues to be a driving force in the economy and creative sector of this Province and our 2010 nominees are testament to that." To determine the final nominations, Mr. Lui Petrollini, partner at Ernst & Young Chartered Accountants LLP, tabulated the ballots of 45 jurors who adjudicated 663 eligible entries comprised of 114 Program and 549 Craft entries.
A team of 120 talented animators, artists, designers and voice-over artists at Big Bad Boo have contributed to the show under the leadership of Randy Rogel, Chad Van De Keere, Aly Jetha and Shabnam Rezaei. "Having secured a 6th place position at Mip Junior, '1001 Nights' is poised to please audiences worldwide with an already famous brand. We are so excited to be nominated among such top quality shows and it's a testament to our team's dedication," added Rezaei. Big Bad Boo sound partner Post Modern Sound is also among the nominees for best overall sound.
Among the "1001 Nights" episodes selected were "Sinbad & The Valley of Serpents" and "What's Yours Is Mine". The LEO AWARDS were established in 1998 to celebrate excellence in British Columbia film and television. The LEO AWARDS 2010 Celebration and Gala Awards Ceremonies take place June 4th and 5th the Westin Bayshore Vancouver. The LEO AWARDS are a project of the Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Foundation of British Columbia and sponsored by Northwest Digital, ACFC West, IATSE 891, Kodak Motion Picture Film and Union of British Columbia Performers.
For a full list of nominations for 2010, visit the LEO AWARDS Nominees website.
ANIMATION PROGRAM OR SERIES
** The Nominees for Best Animation Program or Series are…
** The Nominees for Best Direction/Storyboarding in an Animation Program or Series are…
- 1001 Nights - Aly Jetha, Shabnam Rezaei - Producers
- Barbie In A Mermaid Tale - Anita Lee - Producer
- League Of Super Evil - Asaph Fipke, Ken Faier, Chuck Johnson - Producers
- Martha Speaks - Chris Bartleman, Blair Peters, Sarah Wall - Producers
- Max Steel Versus The Mutant Menace - Justin Gladden - Producer
** The Nominees for Best Screenwriting in an Animation Program or Series are…
- 1001 Nights - What's Yours Is Mine - Chad Van De Keere, Gordon Crum
- Barbie In A Mermaid Tale - Adam Wood
- League Of Super Evil - One Zillion - Johnny Darrell, Rob Hoegee, Steve Ball
- Martha Speaks - Secret Agent Dog - Dallas Parker, Colleen Holub, Jason Horychun, Christine Cunningham
- Max Steel Versus The Mutant Menace - Greg Richardson
** The Nominees for Best Overall Sound in an Animation Program or Series are…
- 1001 Nights - What's Yours Is Mine - Victor Nicolle
- Doggy Day School - Cathy Moss
- Franny's Feet - Louise Moon
- League Of Super Evil - Glory Hog - Philippe Ivanusic, Davila Lebianc
- 1001 Nights - Sinbad And The Valley Of Serpents - Ian Emberton, Greg Stewart, Don Marrison, Ian Mackie
- Barbie In A Mermaid Tale - Kelly Cole, Bill Mellow, Joe Watts, Ryan Nowak
- League Of Super Evil - Happy Birthday Dear Doktor - Ewan Deane, Dean Giammarco, John Ludgate, Jeff Davis
- Martha Speaks - Martha Out West - Martha Sled Dog - Marcel Duperreault, Todd Araki, Jason Fredrickson
- Max Steel Versus The Mutant Menace - James Fonnyadt, Miguel Nuns, Gord Hillier, Tony Gort
Press Contact: Sara Sepidzadeh email@example.com
About 1001 Nights
A new animated comedy series, 1001 Nights
is an original show that brings the delightful tales of the famed 1001 Arabian Nights
to the screen with hilarity, excitement, and non-stop fast paced action. Filled with exciting stories, vivid animation, wonderful music, and unforgettable characters, 1001 Nights
is eye-popping entertainment for both kids and adults. You've heard of Sinbad, Aladdin, and Ali Baba? You've got 998 more stories to go! 1001 Nights brings them to you in a way that will keep you coming back for more. Join the heroine Shahrzad as she weaves tales of adventure, intrigue, and excitement!
About Big Bad Boo Studios
Big Bad Boo is a production and distribution company dedicated to teaching children culture through entertainment. The company has offices in New York, Los Angeles and Vancouver. Their first product Babak & Friends - A First Norooz
was a direct-to-DVD cartoon about the Persian New Year. Their first animated TV series, Mixed Nutz
, is now airing on Shaw TV, PBS and major stations around the world. Big Bad Boo
is currently working on 1001 Nights
Big Bad Boo
provides animation, co-production and development services to clients worldwide.
For more information visit www.bigbadboo.ca